Other options for attenuators?

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
hexibot43
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Other options for attenuators?

Post by hexibot43 »

I am currently working on a 1996 Mercedes-Benz C280 Ignition system. The system is set up distributorless with one coil per every two cylinders (Waste-spark). I was trying to tap into the primary ignition circuit with my 4423 at each of the coil primary ground leads and the cylinder block. I installed the 20:1 attenuators which gives you a range up to 200v. This system is peaking over 250 volts on the Primary, so I'd be running it out of range. Are there other choices for attenuators?

Thanks,

Marcello

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Other options for attenuators?

Post by Robski »

Usually you get -100 to +400V iirc, i duplicated the probe & added my own V scales so they went higher.

You can also select the X20 probe, still using the attenuator .

hexibot43
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by hexibot43 »

Robski wrote:Usually you get -100 to +400V iirc, i duplicated the probe & added my own V scales so they went higher.

You can also select the X20 probe, still using the attenuator .
I think I've got it. The input range that was selected with the 20:1 attenuator was not the full extent of what could be used. I duplicated the probe for 20:1 and went through editing it. I noticed the range that was allowed as you have said is -100 to +400v . Where did you make the changes to the scaling? I was more worried about damaging the scope than anything else but now that I see the true range I see that it should be ok. I don't like seeing the scope saying out of range. Makes me very nervous.

And what is "iirc"?

Thanks,

Mab

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

And what is "iirc"?
If I Remember Correctly .
Where did you make the changes to the scaling?
In the wizard when editing the probe .