HI all new member please help

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
crcoops
OneWave
OneWave

HI all new member please help

Post by crcoops »

hi all just wondering if any one can help. A ford mondeo 55plate 1.8 petrol came into the garage for a straght forward head gasket. Did the job but when put back together it was pinking, checked the timing again which was slightly out. Tought the problem was solved but wasnt any better just wondering if any one can helf how to connect my new picosope up to the cam and crank senor to check the vaveforms please because the crank sensor has movement each way about of about 10dg.

thanks for any help, new to using a scope cheers

chris

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: HI all new member please help

Post by Robski »

First of all are you using the locking tools ?

Secondly by capturing a CMP/CKP may not be hard fast proof of the timing,think of how many cams there are to how many CMP sensors, the WPS would be the tool for the job.

But to capture what you refer to back probe the CKP & CMP sensor, iirc there is an automotive help file&set up, then post the capture.

TIP don't get too used to the pre set ups use your own ;)

PS if Duratec HE I have a known good ;)

crcoops
OneWave
OneWave

Post by crcoops »

Hi
Yes I used the crank locking pin the camshaft looking bar and also the 10 mill bolt that goes into the bottom crank pully.
When the car is dove it is perfect until it reaches speeds over 50mph then it starts to cough and splutter like its a plug breaking Down it also keeps coming up with the code p0320 any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Air gap ?

I think you need to be scoping the CKP sensor whilst the DTC sets here, throw the CMP in for good measure too.

By the way what scan tool are you using ?

crcoops
OneWave
OneWave

Post by crcoops »

Yes the air gap is ok I'm using the snap on solus pro with the latest 12.4 loaded onto It. Is there any other checks you could recommend?

Thanks again

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

A oscilloscope image of the crank position sensor would be nice to have - of that simple reason that it rules out a lot possible causes to the problem.

I have found some info regarding the DTC P0320 from a document that covers Ford OBD System Operation - This is direct copy from the document :

First, several relationships are checked on the 36-1 tooth CKP signal.
The TPU looks for the proper number of teeth (35 or 39) after the missing tooth is recognized; time between teeth too low (< 30 rpm or > 9,000 rpm); or the missing tooth was not where it was expected to be. If an error occurs, the TPU shuts off fuel and the ignition coils and attempts to resynchronize itself. It takes on revolution to verify the missing tooth, and another revolution to verify cylinder #1 using the CMP input. Note that if a P0320 DTC is set on a vehicle with Electronic Throttle Control, (ETC), the ETC software will also set a P2106.
Last edited by KimAndersen on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

take the CMP/CKP sync as asked (idle & on road test), what's the description you're getting with that DTC ?

crcoops
OneWave
OneWave

Post by crcoops »

Thank you for all your help iv come to the bottom of the problem, The customer had informed me that he had just had the inner c v boot replaced, I disconnected the plug on the crank sensor and one of the wires fell out. I don't no if the boot has been flapping and hit the sensor or its the garage that has damaged it but its sorted thanks a lot for your help.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

surely RPM was getting lost in live data or on the cluster when at fault, unless it was that fast a glitch ??

crcoops
OneWave
OneWave

Post by crcoops »

I appreciate the help the rpm was dropping of but only at 55/60 mph which meant a test drive every time as its not running on a laptop because I'm new to picoscope and only have a ADC 212 which needs a 16 pin lead and couldnt use it in test drive could you recommend a laptop? Or would I be better off buying a new scope?

Thanks again