Cam timing, maybe ?

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Cam timing, maybe ?

Post by Robski »

Ford tool.JPG
Ford tool.JPG (7.93 KiB) Viewed 5735 times
:wink:

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

Pulling Vac pipe from EGR doesn't prove the EGR isn't sticking. Nominal voltage for EGR shut (ie. with pipe removed) should be 1.5-1.6v on signal wire from EGR position plug.

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

Thanks All, as I said I'll have to pull chain cover off 1st to see what the nosie is in there, when thats all ok and timing is spot on i'll investigate further
DONT SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

Timing tool arrived today, cam timing was 5 degrees retarded, its all stripped down at the mo to see if I can find the grinding noise, I'll scope it again when its back together with correct cam timing and compare

:D
DONT SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT

Darren Cotton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Darren Cotton »

Litace,

Great that you found an issue, but can you tell me how you know its 5 Degrees out? You may well have discovered a technique that none of us are aware of... Can you explain your capture please... How did you get to the conclusion from the capture and do you think your new capture will be any different?

Darren

s4c
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by s4c »

I think what Liteace is trying to show is, the TDC point is shown on the peaks of the current ramp on relative compression, not 100% accurate but fairly close.

He can then see where the injection takes place in relation to 'TDC', again not 100% accurate but fairly close.

Sorry for jumping in on this post, did you manage to get some 'after' traces?
Attachments
Transit timing out.jpg