astra z16xep throttle body fault

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
djautos
OneWave
OneWave

astra z16xep throttle body fault

Post by djautos »

Hi all, we had a 53 plate 1.6 z16xep astra come in from another garage a few days ago, for a very bad starting and running fault. no fault codes. found throttle body motor on cranking forcing closed position, on half throttle car starts but if you let revs go below 2000 car die's. when running and holding pedal steady, engine revs up and down.accelerates up from 2000 - 5000 no prob, smoke tested for leaks, ( Non Found) Fuel pressure tested and and good. pedal scoped and is good. tps scoped and is good. on further investigation, disconected plug off throttle body and car starts and idle's great. found throttle motor to be bi directional. so scoped both feeds to motor, and on ignition ecu closing butterfly, with engine running and half down on pedal, ecu sending signal to throttle to open and close constantly. anyone any idea's.
will post pic of scope pattern of throttle body tomorrow
thanks

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: astra z16xep throttle body fault

Post by Liteace »

Can you get any live data, see what \ where the position of the TB is, also do an actuator test, check wiring to \ from ECU & also ECU earth, also try disconnecting the battery, reconnect, leave for a min, turn ignition on (dont start engine) leave for a min, then start (if it will start) and do another actuator test to see what the TB is doing
Last edited by Liteace on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DONT SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT

djautos
OneWave
OneWave

Post by djautos »

hi thanks for reply.
yea already done tb test and working fine, also done battery disconection and putting teminals together. but no change. cant understand why ecu is telling tb to close shut .

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

On idle does is it not using the idle control valve in TB with the butterfly closed
DONT SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

Very common for the throttle body failing on the Z16xep, done a few in my time.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

no fault codes
Read with what scanner ?
pedal scoped and is good. tps scoped and is good
post the captures, at the moment 'good' is only on your word. Where did you pin-out ?
so scoped both feeds to motor
current & voltage or just one ?

Like Liteace has asked lets have some live data to go on,desired idle etc......

Below is the data from a few tests omitted from this forum but posted on another........
i have a astra z16xep on a 53 plate, come in to me from another garage with a starting/running fault. if i give half throttle the car will start, but not idle below 2000 revs or engine die's. on keeping half throttle, engine rev's up and down 2000-3000. so now you know what the car is doing i will tell you all the checks ive done. scaned (vaux com) no fault codes. smoke tested. found EGR leaking so fitted new, this then made engine fault worse, checked fuel pressure. 50PSI, happy with that. carried out compression test. 175. happy with that. unpluged throttle body, car started spot on and idled.1000 revs. on further checks to throttle body found ecu demanding throttle body to close , this is now obvious this is why it is had to start. loke i said on half throttle it does start. but watching throttle body it rapidly give WOT and cosed throttle . hense my 2000-3000 revs. scoped to see if throttle body fault, but found ecu demanding this. any suggestions.

djautos
OneWave
OneWave

Post by djautos »

hi thanks for post , will post live data tomorrow but thought id give you a bit more info.
that other post that is same fault as mine . is my post on bba reman site, i am using xaux com and pico. there is no seperate idle control it is done by tb. the throttle body has its natural idle position, with the tb motor being bi directional. closed shut position and WOT. if i disconct multi plug on tb. engine starts great and idle's . multi plug , pluged in ECU close's tb. ta

djautos
OneWave
OneWave

Post by djautos »

djautos
OneWave
OneWave

Post by djautos »

djautos
OneWave