high resolution 16bits, error in the program

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
taho

high resolution 16bits, error in the program

Post by taho »

In last versions of the program function high resolution 16bits does not work, instead, at a function choice 16bit function of a filtration of a signal joins. An appreciable error in the program. It does not work as well in beta versions.
I hope that in the near future it will be possible to rectify this error.

With best regards,
Denis.
Attachments
16bit2.jpg
16bit1.jpg

taho

Re: high resolution 16bits, error in the program

Post by taho »

There was a new version R6.6.37 (RC) and unfortunately an error is not corrected :(.
Question to responsible for tracing and correction of errors in a command of Piko:
Why the function perfectly working in early versions ceases to work and nobody to care of their working capacity?
:arrow: When the error will be corrected ?

With best regards, Denis.

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Hi,

We have been unable to recreate this problem so can I ask what operating system (eg Win 7, 64 bit) and which PicoScope do you have (eg PicoScope 4423).

Update - we have now recreated this so ignore the above. The res enhance is being applied correctly but not reported properly in the properties. There are a few other properties issues when Russian language is selected. The fix should be released in 6.6.42 and beta release 6.7.3

Thanks
Alan

taho

Post by taho »

Hello Alan!
Has checked up the information in your answer concerning wrong reflexion of properties at Russian choice. And only now has understood that you have not correctly understood an essence of an error specified in the first message.
The error essence consists that I meaningly choosing in the menu of 16 bits actually I receive not 16 bits, only a signal filtration (though in properties 16 bits are reflected). Please, do not concern "superficially" the given message - the problem consists in the image on the monitor of the computer of a real signal, instead of in a wrong data recording in properties. I want to write down (and record) a signal with the permission of 16 bits, and instead I receive a signal deformed by filtration function (though I do not choose a filtration in properties of the menu)...

From my supervision, function of measurement of 16 bits does not work :!: And it does not depend on a choice of language of the menu.

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

Chosing 16bit resolution enhancement will result in the loss of some high frequency detail, and the change you are seeing in the waveforms when you apply this feature are what would be expected. From the help menu in PicoScope6 Automotive
Resolution enhancement is a technique for increasing the effective vertical resolution of the scope at the expense of high-frequency detail. Selecting resolution enhancement does not change the scope's sampling rate or the number of samples available.

For this technique to work, the signal must contain a very small amount of Gaussian noise, but for many practical applications this is generally taken care of by the scope itself and the noise inherent in normal signals.

The resolution enhancement feature uses a flat moving-average filter. This acts as a low-pass filter with good step response characteristics and a very slow roll-off from the pass-band to the stop-band.

Some side-effects will be observed when using resolution enhancement. These are normal and can be counteracted by reducing the amount of enhancement used, increasing the number of samples captured or changing the timebase. Trial and error is usually the best way to find the optimum resolution enhancement for your application. The side-effects include:

Widened and flattened impulses (spikes)

Vertical edges (such as those of square waves) turned into straight-line slopes

Inversion of the signal (sometimes making it look as if the trigger point is on the wrong edge)

A flat line (when there are not enough samples in the waveform)
If you wish us to look in more detail, to suggest settings to change, then can you post the psdata file for these waveforms.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

Thank you, we have received those and will take a look in more detail.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

taho

Post by taho »

Thanks Martin.
There is such joke (real true): if something is not possible to force to work - read at last the using instruction. :? :)
Possibly at a signal is present the components which are not allowing to this function normally to work.
Thanks for a reminder that it pseudo 16 bits.
Though at similar measurements, on earlier versions this function (16 bits) well worked.
Well it is possible at the analysis will find that it is possible to make for normal work in realisation of this function. :idea:
With best regards,
Denis