Ducati Multistrada 1000DS

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
dominic
OneWave
OneWave

Ducati Multistrada 1000DS

Post by dominic »

HI again.

Looks like I was wrong on my diagnosis as per discussion here: http://www.picoauto.com/support/topic9272.html

I would really appreciate some assistance & guidance if its Ok to ask here?

I'll give you what I know and perhaps some light can be shed on things...

1. Bike comes in with error light on, battery over volatage ( 5.1 )
2. as in image uploaded, voltage spikes apparent and I thought regulator issue
3. replaced regulator & spikes rectified however error light still on.
4. today I noticed the volatge on the dash does NOT reflect actual battery voltage. Actual battery >14VDC dash displayed volatge max 12VDC
5. dash displayed battery voltage on this bike is via CAN line
6. ecu & dash grounds OK < .5 ohm
7. ecu to dash CAN line connections/wiring under .5 ohms.

As I am very new to scope use, CAN samples not yet taken however I have hooked up to known 2 CAN wires and data was not clear.

Should I check what is on the CAN line and watch the CAN signal as I disconnect sensors etc or some other approach.

Also does anyone know if Ducati (2005 model) use CAN high/low?

I have the genuine manual however it is not overly informative in relation to CAN type etc.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
mts1100 overvoltage issue.jpg
Last edited by dominic on Sat May 19, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Post by Alan »

Hi,

Is there any chance you can upload the .psdata file as well as the screen grab. If you are still connected can you use a 20ms/div timebase rather than 5ms/div as this will ensure you have at least one complete engine cycle (everything happens at least once on the engine). I assume the trace is of battery voltage and current ?

One other thing when you say "Actual battery >14VDC dash displayed volatge max 12VDC" is this a voltmeter display on the dash. If so perhaps its a software thing with the bike? Does the dash normally ever display over 12V (a normal bike with the engine running will always have >12V but perhaps the bike display shows voltages below 12V to show there is a problem but above 12V it just shows 12V to signify there is enough voltage?

Thx
Alan

dominic
OneWave
OneWave

Post by dominic »

HI Alan, thanks for the speedy reply.

I am at home now but can get more data tomorrow.

I will upload or PM what little .psdata I have, hopefully it will help.

It was batt voltage & current yes.

Actual battery voltage when tested at battery is over 14VDC. Yes, dash has displayed voltage and is inaccurate, and from manual is acquired via CAN. I do think from memory the dash will display correct voltage however I will test another very similar bike tomorrow ( dash cannot be swapped as coded to bike! NOT that I want to parts swap at all )
Attachments
new regulator - same error.psdata
(64.45 KiB) Downloaded 696 times

dominic
OneWave
OneWave

Post by dominic »

Alan, your suggestion of software issue is where I am at with it. The software is in the dash I would expect. If no software in dash then just the dash. I am just wanting to be able to diagnose and not guess.

I tested all dash loom wiring voltages and interestingly, left hand switch block function related voltages(that is - high beam, indicator, horn & hazard switches) were all in the 12vdc or lower region. All other 12v wiring was as expected, actual battery voltage or very close.

Just trying to give you everything I know...

speak soon

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Dom

It is one thing testing resistance & another load testing !

The grounds you checked check again with the bike running with the scope as a DMM. (black to ground (Batt -)red to ground being tested))

Does the dash receive the voltage from the ECU for the engine via CAN ?

Grab a CAN capture anyway & post it on here lets have a looksy :)

Just so you know i am not a bike guru but a few of us may be able to help with testing methods & possible results/captures.

antthecat
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by antthecat »

Just a punt on this, is the battery good?

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Yes, the battery is a suspect (as mentioned in other thread) unless already checked / swapped. Part of the job of a battery is to act as a capacitor smoothing out spikes / noise on the 12V lines.

If you are re-capturing the waveform please make sure the memory (no of samples) is turned up a bit. Its 1000 samples in your waveform. Try 100,000 or so to make sure you are sampling fast enough to capture any spikes.

dominic
OneWave
OneWave

Post by dominic »

Robski wrote:Dom

It is one thing testing resistance & another load testing !

The grounds you checked check again with the bike running with the scope as a DMM. (black to ground (Batt -)red to ground being tested))

Does the dash receive the voltage from the ECU for the engine via CAN ?

Grab a CAN capture anyway & post it on here lets have a looksy :)

Just so you know i am not a bike guru but a few of us may be able to help with testing methods & possible results/captures.
Robski, thanks very much re load testing grounds. yes totaly agree & thanks for showing me how to do this with the scope. tested OK

Yes, batt voltage is CAN line. I found today using texa through diag port battery voltage stays at 11VDC BUT when I switch the bike off the min/max shows as you'd expect circa 11.5/14.9VDC - so I took the CAN snapshot

Not concerned who is bike guru or not you guys are a great help and methodology is going to be very similar I would expect.

dominic
OneWave
OneWave

Post by dominic »

anthecat & alan, thanks for the other ideas.

I did take a sample with another battery however similar results & same error.

Thanks for advis eon sample rates. (Taking notes & samples for my library)

dominic
OneWave
OneWave

Post by dominic »

Here is the CAN snapshot, I will add a couple please advise which is best capture settings
Attachments
error 5.1 CAN.gif