Fiat 1.6 2001 primary.

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
hbr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Fiat 1.6 2001 primary.

Post by hbr »

Hello, I have captured the current and voltage at the fuel pump. I hope someone can help me in understanding it.
Attachments
Fuel pump current Fiat bravo.psdata
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 461 times

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Hi mate

That's not looking pretty & looks like the fuel pump's FUBAR.

If this were my job i would back that capture up with a fuel pressure check,if your scope is still attached do a dead head test also.
Bravo FP capture_.JPG

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

Looks like that's the fault. Nice screen shot rob! :D

hbr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by hbr »

Hello Robski, thanks you for your help, tomorrow I will try to measure the fuel pump pressure, it is a at home job so it has no hurry but has to be fixed cheap. What should the rpm be with a good pump? When I know more I will let you know.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Hello mate

You may only notice a small difference in speed with a new pump, come back with the pressure/flow results & take it from there.

This capture is from an 02 MK3 Mondeo 1.8 Duratec HE ...............
Mondeo MK3 1.8 Duratec HE 2002.JPG

ScannerDanner
OneWave
OneWave

Post by ScannerDanner »

hbr wrote:Hello i got a problem with a Fiat bravo 1.6. This car won't run good, the map reading is 500 mbar and i can't find any leaks in the intake system with a smoke machine. Also the primary signal i captured is strange, can somebody tell me what is causing this.
The attachment Ontsteking Fiat.JPG is no longer available
Also attached the psdata.
I am guessing this is a waste spark ignition system? In any case the one coil primary voltage waveform is indicating a shorted secondary problem (bad plug, wire or coil). Check out the two captures I uploaded from your pic. One is showing what the spark line should look like and the other is not. Remember the spark line in a primary voltage waveform is a mirror of what the secondary is doing. This is a classic shorted condition. (keep in mind this shorted condition can also be from a fuel fouled spark plug, so tread carefully)
Attachments
What it should look like
What it should look like
During the misfire
During the misfire

hbr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by hbr »

Hello again, also thanks for your advice ScannerDanner, yes it is a wasted spark ignition with dis coil. Measured the fuel pump pressure tonight and it was 3.8 bar, it should be 3.0 +/- 0.2 bar, so it is on the high side in stead of low. Also measured the coils secondary resistance and this was 8800 ohm and should be 4500 - 5500 ohm, don't know if this can cause the spark problems?

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

I have fuel pressure as 3.5 BAR +/- 0.2 . Remind me does this have a regulator on the fuel rail ?

Where did you measure that resistance, direct at the coil towers or at the spark plug end of the leads ?

If the specs you have are correct then the resistance is too high.

hbr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by hbr »

No it has no regulator on the rail but it is build in the pump, it is a return less system.
Measured at the coil towers.
Fond the specs here: http://multipla.szakkor.hu/download/158 ... _Range.pdf , and in autodata.
Pdf file is from a Marea but it uses the same iaw49f system.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Judging by the fuel pressure at that it is acceptable, have you carried out a flow test ?

if these 2 tests pass then move on to something else.Still not a nice looking current capture of the pump though.

whilst the fuel pressure was at the reading when you tested was it running/idling rough at that time ?

If those resistance values you have are out of spec then i would be looking into the coil pack/leads also, grab another coil current & both Primary capture & give it a snap throttle & post the file.