Next generation automotive scope timeline?

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Andrus
OneWave
OneWave

Next generation automotive scope timeline?

Post by Andrus »

Good afternoon!
I have one very tricky and politically not correct question:
when new generation Automotive Scope will be available ? 8)
I bought 3423 in 2007, nowadays is 4423 present. I think that it is avaliable since 2008 ??
And honestly, it is time for newer generation.
I do not want to buy it today and realize on next month, that new generation automotive scope is out...

Honestly, it is huge difference in 3000 and 4000 series.
( Mostly max voltage from +-50 volt to +-100 volt. )

If it 150 or 200 next generation I am more than pleased... 8)

Cheers,

Andrus

Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Next generation automotive scope timeline?

Post by Dave Hill »

Hi Andrus

I think that you are over estimating the challenge ahead.

I have both 3000 & 4000 series Pico Automotive scopes & although the 4000 unit is superb, the 3000 version is still a very capable tool.

Perhaps I have my eyes closed?

Andrus
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Andrus »

Hi Dave,

I am agree with You that 3423 and 4423 are great piece of work !
I only thought that if next gen comes out next month...

Like buying new car, and surprise: new model introduced during Your celebration party time:
As IDEA: It would be nice to have also digital decoder inside new generation

like can-bus reader for standard communication protocols.

Cheers,

Andrus

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Hi Andrus,

I can set your mind at rest - there is no new scope due to be released in the next few months.

The PicoScope 4423 hardware meets / exceeds the needs of most users so our focus is currently on making the software better and better. I am not sure what you mean by a digital decoder, but the software can already decode CAN bus data.

Best Regards
Alan

Andrus
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Andrus »

alan wrote:Hi Andrus,

I can set your mind at rest - there is no new scope due to be released in the next few months.

The PicoScope 4423 hardware meets / exceeds the needs of most users so our focus is currently on making the software better and better. I am not sure what you mean by a digital decoder, but the software can already decode CAN bus data.

Best Regards
Alan

Hi Allan,
Thank You for information ! this is what I need to know :)

Now I have to dig more deep in software capabilities. CAN-bus decode is something I did not knew.
Up to how high bits it goes ? As I know, John Deere uses 29 BIT CAN

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Hi,

The two standards for the CAN bus identifier are 11 bits (base) and 29 bits (extended). PicoScope serial decoding supports both of these. Other automotive protocols we can decode include LIN bus and very soon FlexRay.

Regards
Alan

Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dave Hill »

Hi Alan

Is there ever an instance where we need to decode these data packets? Be it Flex Ray or CAN bus, aren't we just interested in confirming signal integrity?

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Hi Dave,

Thats a good question (and I may have to split this into two topics soon).

The serial decoding options in PicoScope have been added mostly due to requests from engineers developing vehicles (or components for vehicles) and feedback from them has been that they are very happy with the new features. We have just added FlexRay to R6.7.1.

Whilst I agree that for most repair work checking of CAN bus etc requires only looking at the physical layer / signal integrity there are some niches where decoding is proving useful. Bear in mind that typical uses of decoding via a scope are too look at the interaction between two components where the data is not available at the diagnostic connector - eg if a reversing camera "disappears" then its useful to decode can data to see if the ECU is asking the camera to switch on or whether the camera is not responding. For this sort of work you do need access to the manufacturers (confidential) codes.

Most of the users so far have been within vehicle manufacturers who are field service support / factory support - often looking into issues with newly released vehicles or for niche applications where vehicles are being modified (such as fitting new ICE equipment).

I guess its a useful tool for some but not something everyone is going to need. I suspect as time goes on our inventive customers will find more and more uses...

Regards
Alan

PS Dave - any more of your great case studies on the way?

Andrus
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Andrus »

Looks like I started pretty hot topic :)
One more hardware related question / confirmation:

Does automation software works only with automotive scope or some other pico scopes also able to work with automotive software. ( and automotive scope with other pico software )

Sorry if this already answered somewhere else.

I been using 3423 scope on my previous work as Komatsu construction and mining equipment diagnostic/troubleshooting.
And I had 98% success: Once I got readings, but was not smart enough to understand reason.
Unfortunately I do not have related picoscope data files and not able to share good lesson.
Final cost because mechanic accidentally changed polarity on one sensor was about 3 month of machine down + 3000 EUR in parts + about 200 workhours + trailer for 75 ton crawler excavator :shock: + I got Picoscope automotive kit in my hand about 2000 EUR 8)

Now thinking to start my own business.

Cheers,

Andrus
Last edited by Andrus on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. The automotive software only works with the automotive scopes, but the serial decoding option is available in all versions of PicoScope 6 so will work with all our scopes.