Linux usability

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
blaineclrk

Linux usability

Post by blaineclrk »

Out of curiosity, a friend is considering switching from Microsoft to Linux, probably Ubuntu since that is what I use because he's having some stability problems on a couple of his shop units with MS updates. He's afraid of having to buy all new computers - again. Has anyone tried to run any of the pico software through the WINE emulator for Linux and if so, how did it perform?
He doesn't use pico at present even on his Microsoft desktops in the shop, so this is just a fact-finding mission to find if there is anything available for Linux, either ported straight for Linux or used through WINE. Have the pico developers considered providing a Linux version or isn't there enough demand?
Thanks.

Dan
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Linux usability

Post by Dan »

Demand and Time are the two main limiters.

Meanwhile, regards 'Windows' - some garages have a dedicated, non-networked pc/laptop for diagnostics.
That way, it's never updated beyond a working setup, nor connects to the internet to be affected by any nasties.

If you have a 2000a series device, a community member on the regular Pico forum has written a simple Linux application. I'm sure it could be extended for 3000 or 3000a series. (Limited to the drivers currently available).
Knows pre-2000 Fords and R33's better than the back of my own hand.
Anything newer... I'm probably driving it :-(

blaineclrk

Post by blaineclrk »

Thank you.

He's considering. But it's a big step for him.

Dan
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Dan »

Depending on the scope you have - if it's a '3000' series, the non-a/b drivers 'should' just work if Tobie's code is changed from 2000 to 3000 (most, if not all calls are the same, just pre-fixed differently).

If it's a 3000a or b series, then the calls re-typed to suit the drivers, but otherwise should also work if done.

I haven't a decent test rig nor time to do this as of yet, but his stuff should definitely be encouraged.
Knows pre-2000 Fords and R33's better than the back of my own hand.
Anything newer... I'm probably driving it :-(