Ford Focus 2006 1.8 turbo diesel

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Ford Focus 2006 1.8 turbo diesel

Post by Alan »

Phil - If I guess correctly who that Mondeo belongs to, was that trace taken before or after we fixed his leaky injector?

Damian Mc Bride
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Damian Mc Bride »

Hi Most ford diesels will pulse injectors after switched off to drop rail pressure.
You can test the pump by disconecting injector and drv on pump, connect scope to rail sensor, turn eng over you should get full pressure build up quickly and when release key watch for rail perssure it should drop slowly.
Damian

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Did you notice if the injectors buzzed for a while when ignition was off ?
There you go Gruss a procedure, maybe now my comments make sense now ?

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

Alan's capture is basically what the preset notes show... And what I was following...
Phils capture is what it actully does? I'll be honest I'm confused :oops:

I'm sure I didn't have enough time on the screen with my zoomed in capture when I was measuring the drop when I switched the engine off, can someone confirm this as I'm not on my laptop with pico software.

The reason why I thought there was a leak on the HP side is that the car was stood over night ( got it running the evening before) and it started fine and ran for a couple of mins before I tried to drive it off the ramp. My personal theory was that maybe a injector was sticking. I did have a similar problem a few years ago with a movano van, would drive fine under light cruising but as soon I accelerated it popped the em light on. Fuel rail low pressure stored. Return quantity leak off test carried out, no 2 injector returned excessive amounts back on idle compared to the other 3....

Rob, I didn't notice the injectors buzzing but I wasn't even looking to be honest. I only spent 10 mins on it before they took it to the ford dealers so didn't have the to think about stuff and work it out.

Damian, I will certainly try that test. Do I disconnect all the injectors and the pump. Would this work on a vauxhall vectra with a 1.9 cdti engine in for example.

If I could try it then I would understand it better, I'm one of those that likes to do things to learn. :shock:

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Damian, I will certainly try that test. Do I disconnect all the injectors and the pump. Would this work on a vauxhall vectra with a 1.9 cdti engine in for example
It all depends on how the fuel metering valve rests at default !

Damian Mc Bride
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Damian Mc Bride »

As Rob says depends on the system.
Frank does a 3 DVD training set on comon rail diesel.
You could also check out his autoinform web site some great videos all free
Damian

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

Damian Mc Bride wrote:As Rob says depends on the system.
Frank does a 3 DVD training set on comon rail diesel.
You could also check out his autoinform web site some great videos all free
Damian
I think I may have to invest in some, I've watched all the YouTube clips and frank certainly knows his stuff!

antthecat
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by antthecat »

James Dillon also does a great diesel diagnosis course, the pico gets a workout around a Citroën berlingo. A good face to face course. I would also recommend his 6 day bootcamp. The advanced scope course could be really helpful to you Russ
Last edited by antthecat on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

antthecat wrote:James Dillon also does a great diesel diagnosis course, the pico gets a workout around a Citroën berlingo. A good face to face course. I would also recommend his 6 day bootcamp. The advanced scope course could be really helpful to you Ruse.
I bought the scope from James and have a voucher for a free course. I've seen the boot camp as well but I cant afford that :cry:
If the course goes ok I'll look into attending more.