Ford Focus smart charging test

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
A11an

Ford Focus smart charging test

Post by A11an »

Hi, I bought a 4 channel scope last year and went on the training course and that's about it! I can remember some parts and obviously the more I use it the more I will learn, please go easy on me :)

I have a Ford Focus with a Charging problem (smart charge), the customer drove it in with it cutting out and no power steering as the battery was flattening, I have searched for information on these as we always have problems that appear to alternator but always turn out to be wiring/ plugs etc.

I've disconnected the plug from the alternator and checked the charge rate as a conventional system and it read 13.7v, from other forum post's that seems fine and means the alternator is fine?

So my question is can anyone explain the set up on the scope and what wave forms i should expect by back probing the back of the 3 wires on the plug?

many thanks

Allan

trickyp

Re: Ford Focus smart charging test

Post by trickyp »

Hi Allen, hope this helps

Pin 1 Alternator feed back square wave
Pin 2 Alternator load request square wave
Pin 3 12V feed from cjb

Regards Paul

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PicoMike »

Hi A11an,

Please find below a link to a thread in the NEWS section where there is a preview of a new PicoScope Test, regarding Smart Charging. The test will be included in a future build of the PicoScope Automotive software, however we would like to hear any comments and/or suggestions you may have for improvement.

http://www.picoauto.com/support/viewtop ... =24&t=8174

Regards,

Mike
Mike Valentine
Online BDM: Pico Technology

fisher4x4

Post by fisher4x4 »

I just downloaded the newest update to pico 6 and the ford smart charge tests are in there.