first look engine sensor

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Alex

first look engine sensor

Post by Alex »

Has anyone used or would like to make a comment about this sensor? how different is it to say a fluke vacuum/pressure sensor? the effects on sensor readings when placed at different vacuum ports on an engine

Carl Grotti
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Carl Grotti »

Hi Alex,

The FLS is a nice tool added to my arsenal. The PicoScope compliments it quite well. What your interested in is an ultra sensitive differential pressure sensor. (piezo design) The Fluke PV 350 (if this is what your using) is designed for broad ranges. On the high end with that you can measure cylinder pressures at their peak. The FLS is not your tool for this. It's a highly sensitive measuring device for small pulses. Intake, exhaust, fuel pressure regulators etc. Keep in mind, all engines are different for diagnosis using this sensor. They all have their own characteristics.

Regards,
Carl

Alex

Post by Alex »

from what i can understand from the manual and website info is that you look at the timing between cylinder events and the big dips and lumps rather than wave shapes-is this correct?

If you have a major dip on the scope, could this just be a simple plug lead or fouled plug? or can one tell the difference between mechanical / electrical fault

Carl Grotti
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Carl Grotti »

Hi Alex,

I wouldn't attempt to use it as a diagnostic tool for analyzing a secondary ignition electrical fault. Mechanical yes. Even knowing it can aid in these mechanical faults, you really need to be familiar with each engine design. Primary and secondary waveform analysis is your quickest way to find out what is happening inside the combustion chamber.

Carl

Alex c

first look engine sensor -again

Post by Alex c »

well year and half later, how's anyone doing with this tool? anyone give me an insite as to how good/bad/ok comments :shock: