primary ignition principle

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Willem

primary ignition principle

Post by Willem »

Hello technicians,

There's a thing I never understood when I comes to the primary ignition waveform. Where does the burnline come from? In secondary it makes sence to me, but in primary the current is just being grounded by the ignition module isn't it?
Or am I thinking in the wrong direction?

Matt Fanslow
OneWave
OneWave

Re: primary ignition principle

Post by Matt Fanslow »

You seem to be forgetting that the control side of the primary has to be released before the magnetic field can collapse.

HTH. Later, Matt.

Willem

Post by Willem »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply, I understand the part your talking about.
When the earth is removed (by the ignition module) it induces a certain voltage trough the primary coil. What I don't get is the burnline wich is caused by the spark jumping over the sparkplug gap, BUT there aren't any sparkplugs in the primary circuit.

I feel a bit dumb for asking, but I just don't see what I'm missing here. I hope you understand what I mean, because I didn't pay much attention when I was in english class.

Matt Fanslow
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Matt Fanslow »

Right, the collapsing magnetic field induces voltage in the primary, as well as the secondary.

We basically see a reflection of what is happening in the primary in the secondary as well as a reflection of the secondary in the primary, depending on the part of the pattern we discuss. In your example we are seeing a reflection of the secondary in the primary.

Maybe one way to think about it is that they both are dissipating the same magnetic field.

HTH. Later, Matt.

Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dave Hill »

Nice description Matt.

I am in the process of putting another article together, that covers this topic, for the "Everyday Diagnostic" section of the Pico site.

Ignition primary & secondary can be very confusing. When I started scoping & I had similar questions to those of Willem. The scope really does help you understand electrical processes that were previously just a fog in the mind (That's the way I felt anyway :? )

A good question Willem! Keep an eye out for my article. I think it will raise more questions like the one you asked.

Regards

Dave Hill

Willem

Post by Willem »

Thanks Matt for the explanation, this is vert. Helpfull.
And Dave I am looking forward to your article.

Greetz...