secondary pick-ups

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Alex

secondary pick-ups

Post by Alex »

I own the otc/interro handheld scope with full ignition leads so i stole the kv pick-up and have been using it on the adc212, perfect picture/pattern except scale is wrong, i'm getting about firing voltage of 20kv and burn about 4-5kv.
Next i tried the dis pick-up lead set and still used the kv pick-up running on 2 channels, what i got is the dis pattern is out of shape, the coil osillations the angle of burn voltage.
Further experament i used a metal paper clip about 15mm wide with almost simular patterns compared to my dis lead set
So has anyone successfully built there own pick-ups?

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Alex,

To use other pickups woth PicoScope and have them scaled correctly, you will probably have to configure a custom range that matches the probe attenuation.

The PicoScope Automotive kit has an excellent set of probes and pickups and the automotive presets use custom ranges for the included accessories. These scales will not be correct using a pickup with different attenuation.

The software is very flexible though and allows you to build custom ranges to suit your needs.

As for building your own, seems like a lot of trouble when they are relatively inexpensive. You would have to calibrate it to a specific attenuation so you could make a range for it. I can see the entertainment value, but otherwise seems like a waste of time.

:shock:
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
Autonerdz