FIRSTLOOK SENSOR WAVEFORM

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
georgeku

Post by georgeku »

Hi,

I am sorry I am new to using labscope. I recently bought the FLS. I connected to my 98 Beetle and got the waveform. However, I have no idea what the waveform mean. I triggered with the 4th cyl spark plug wire because it is the easiest one to access but it seems the pulse from the FLS was not synchronize with the trigger. I attached the waveform and can anyone comment on it so that I can get some idea what does it mean. Thanks.

George
Attachments
waveform1.pdf
(29.98 KiB) Downloaded 956 times

Matt Fanslow
OneWave
OneWave

Re: FIRSTLOOK SENSOR WAVEFORM

Post by Matt Fanslow »

georgeku wrote:Hi,

I am sorry I am new to using labscope. I recently bought the FLS. I connected to my 98 Beetle and got the waveform. However, I have no idea what the waveform mean. I triggered with the 4th cyl spark plug wire because it is the easiest one to access but it seems the pulse from the FLS was not synchronize with the trigger. I attached the waveform and can anyone comment on it so that I can get some idea what does it mean. Thanks.

George

It looks like a nice running intake vacuum pattern with an FLS. How do you mean the pulse(s) do not synchronize with the trigger?

Thanks. Later, Matt.

georgeku

Post by georgeku »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your response.

I need to explain more clear. I connected the FLS to the tail pipe but not the intake manifold.

About the synchronize problem. As you see the attached waveform, there are only 2 peaks in between the trigger. I assume there should be 4 peaks because this 98 Beetle is a 4 cylinder (DIS).

Thanks.

George

Matt Fanslow
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Matt Fanslow »

If that's in the exhaust, that FLS pattern looks upside-down to me.

I suspect you are getting tripped up by the fact that you are seeing the waste-spark patterns in your ignition waveform.

Later, Matt.

georgeku

Post by georgeku »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

Does it mean the waveform is looked normal? Actually, how can we determine if the waveform from FLS is normal? Besides, I do have some waveforms from 1996 Camry, 1996 Prelude that also used FLS but they all looks terrible. If you don't mind to take a look, I would like to post them and let you see them if you have time.

Anyway, many thanks from you prompt reply.

George

Matt Fanslow
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Matt Fanslow »

By all means please post up your patterns. The best way to learn what "good" is versus "bad" is doing exactly what you are doing. Start out with "good" vehicles though, don't start out right away looking at broke vehicles. Post up your findings and we'll work on how to dissect them.

Thanks! Later, Matt.

georgeku

Post by georgeku »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your prompt reply. So, do you mean I can post the waveform in this forum and request for analysis?

Matt Fanslow
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Matt Fanslow »

I wouldn't look at it as being analysis in the context of making a diagnosis so much as analysis in the form of learning to interpret what you are seeing and what/where you can use this tool reliably on. FirstLook is one of a kind and offers a very unique way of looking at "pressure" (yes technically is doesn't report pressure but change).

Later, Matt.