PICOSCOPE VS Vantage Snap-on

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.

Post by Guest »

Is the Vantage a scope or just a graphing meter? I was led to believe the Vantage Pro was a full functioning scope.

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

V-Pro

Post by Autonerdz »

The V-Pro is a very capable 2 channel scope. The screen resolution is rather poor but the scope resources are good. 8MHz ADC and 256K sample buffer for each channel.

The operational characteristics have issues that interfere with making full use of these resources, but you can learn to overcome some of these.

Of course there is no comparison with Pico's new 4423 scope package, which is over a hundred times more powerful with four channels and costs less with a bunch of accessories included.

The new 4423 has dual 80MHz ADCs and a 32 million point internal buffer. It can collect over 16.5 million samples per channel, per capture, in streaming mode.

Thats like racing a VW bug and an F-16 jet.

But, I would consider the V-Pro to be the most powerful native hand held two channel automotive scope available.

To do better, you would have to go with a PicoScope PC based package. Now there are very low cost netbook PCs for $300 US that can actually run this thing quite well, making the package both low cost and hand held. This makes the entire package with the amp probes and all the other accessories including a PC for about $100 more than the V-Pro list price.

Sure, the V-Pro has things like a PGM but with all that PicoScope power, you'll never need a PGM again. :shock:

THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

blowing up pico

Post by Guest »

wow this thread has turned into a discussion group!! but i too am blowing up the Pico, don't know why but I always use the 20:1 attentuator unless testing a grond signal. I hardy every test secondary patterns as I find primary signal tells me nearly everything anyway. This in theory gives me a safe peak voltage of 400Volts?? Luck I have a 4 channel as I have spare channels to use!

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Attenuators

Post by Autonerdz »

The attenuators are not required for anything under 50 volts with the 3000 series and 100 volts on the 4000 series automotive scopes.

My experience has been that even if the tech forgets them, the scope is not damaged unless this is done repeatedly with high voltage kicks.

Sounds like you are using them when needed, and a 400 volt primary kick is reduced to 20 with the attenuator, so I can't explain why yours failed.

Have you requested an RMA to send it in to the Pico hospital? The Pico team is very helpful and you may be able to get it fixed at little or no cost.

If you are in the USA, call me and I may be able to assist.

THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

Robin
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Robin »

If you do need an RMA to return the unit to us, please email us your contact details and the serial number of the unit: support@picotech.com

Robin