Bosch AFM testing

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.

Bosch AFM testing

Post by Guest »

Can anybody help me with a testing procedure for the latest air flow sensors as fitted to later vauxhalls Vectra c and astra h. I have come accross 3 cars recently where I have measured a very fast switching square wave pattern on the pin which is normally the output voltage.
Sorry I don't know how to attatch my capture, the frequency of the waveform seems to change with engine load but the duty cycle remains about 50 percent.
Could anybody help me with a testing procedure, should I be measuring current flow?

Any help would be very much appreciated
Thanks John

chris1234

Post by chris1234 »

I think you have a Bosch HFM6. The air-mass-information is coded in the frequency and the air-temperature is coded in the duty cycle.

I have an Excel-file for a HFM 6, that you can download here. It's in German, but maybe it's helpfull.

Luftmasse = Air mass
Ansauglufttemperatur = Air temperature
Pulsweite = Duty cycle
Luftvolumen = Air volume

Carl Grotti
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Carl Grotti »

Hello John,

Testing "Air Flow Meters" or "Mass Air Flow" sensors can be tricky when they are frequency based instead of a proportional analog one. It can be done fairly easy enough though using PicoScope.

You can do this a few different ways. Utilizing the advanced triggering is one way. Myself, if I were to use a scope to do this, then I would trigger off of the TPS. This would give you a relationship of when the throttle was snapped and the corresponding frequency with the cursors in place.

Another way is to simply use a PGM or a GMM that graphs frequency over time.

Most of the time this can be nailed down with a scanner. Not always though. Out of curiosity sake, what are you using for a scanner?

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your replies. I will have a play with the next one I get in and see how I can best display the frequency.
Carl, I am usind a sykes pickavant ACR 4 scanner. it's very basic and unfortunately cannot graph any of the component data.

Many thanks
John

Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dave Hill »

Carl Grotti wrote: Another way is to simply use a PGM or a GMM that graphs frequency over time.
I am very interested in developing a useful method of testing these digital MAF sensors. I have to confess Carl that I don't understand the abbreviations that you used in your reply.

Recently I put it to Matt (At Pico) that it would be a cool addition for Pico, if it were possible to graph the frequency over time, in a manner that allowed us to see a plot or simulated signal. This would be very useful for comparing the digital MAF output against the Oxygen sensor, so that effective study of closed loop control can be made.

I don't know if this is a realistic request, but I think it would be a real bonus for Pico.

Cheers

Dave Hill

Carl Grotti
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Carl Grotti »

Hi Dave,
I have to confess Carl that I don't understand the abbreviations that you used in your reply.
Sorry about that.

PGM = Power Graphing Meter

GMM = Graphing Multi Meter

Here is the one I use.

http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnos ... ir=catalog

There shouldn't be much trouble finding a used one at a very low price since the V-Pro replaced it.