Save settings and waveform in same file (or at same time)

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Derek Edwards

Post by Derek Edwards »

In version 5 and before, saving a waveform would also save the scope settings, but unless I'm missing something this behaviour seems to be missing from version 6

Could this behaviour be made an option (perhaps as a third file type combining the data and settings) as I think it was a great advantage when opening a file from another user as you could see how the scope was setup for the capture, and also good when saving a waveform for future reference.

All the best
Derek

Matt Fanslow
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Matt Fanslow »

There are a couple of issues that need to be sorted out first.

What scope are you currently using?

How are you opening these files? Are you opening them by simply double-clicking on the file, or through PicoScope 6 (ie: File, Open, "file in question)?

Are the files you are trying to look at taken with a different model PicoScope?

Thanks! Later, Matt.

Derek Edwards

Post by Derek Edwards »

Hello. Thanks for the reply
What scope are you currently using?
I have a 3423 and an older 2 channel (I've used Pico tools for many years), but use the 3423 mostly now.
How are you opening these files?
If it's a file sent to me or one I'm downloading from a forum etc, then I'll usually double click it, but if it's one I've saved or one I've previously downloaded I'd usually use the file open menu
Are the files you are trying to look at taken with a different model PicoScope?

The files I'm opening from other users might be from other models, but some are the same model.

So, are you saying if you save them on your scope the settings are also saved in the file, and that the behaviour hasn't changed since version 5?

Best regards
Derek

Derek Edwards

Post by Derek Edwards »

I've done some more tests on this and the difference in behaviour seems to be only apparent if the scope is not connected.

In version 5, (or in version 6 when opening the earlier version files such as the help files (psd)) the settings are made on opening a file whether the scope is connected or not.

In version 6 if the scope is not connected and a demo scope is not chosen then the settings are not made when opening a version 6 type file (psdata), but they are made if you open the earlier type file (psd)

If the scope is connected, or a demo scope is chosen then the settings are made when a file of either type is opened

So as long as you choose a demo scope then the settings used to take the original waveform can be seen regardless of the type

all the best
Derek

Matt Fanslow
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Save settings and waveform in same file (or at same time

Post by Matt Fanslow »

Derek Edwards wrote:So as long as you choose a demo scope then the settings used to take the original waveform can be seen regardless of the type

all the best
Derek
The only thing I might add to that is if you open a 4 channel capture with a 2 channel scope selected in Demo mode, it will not display all the settings. The patterns will shop up, however. So, in some cases it does matter which scope you select.

Take care, Matt.

Derek Edwards

Post by Derek Edwards »

Sorry, I meant to say regardless of the file type (psd or psdata)
all the best
Derek