Streaming Data mode to record to Hard Disk

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Technoman64

Streaming Data mode to record to Hard Disk

Post by Technoman64 »

I have just recently purchased one of the 4-channel automotive kits. Before I purchased I read the online manual it it stated I could use Automotive Scope in Streaming Data mode and record data to hard disk.

How do I do this?

I do not see any method of performing this action in the software. I need to log Crankshat Position Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor Data, and Ignition Data while doing pulls on the Dyno.

Thanks

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

recording

Post by Autonerdz »

Technoman,

What software are you using? PicoScope 5.xx or 6.xx?

With 5.xx, you can set up a 'Save On Trigger' session. This will automatically write each triggered screen to the last working folder on your hard drive. Save one file into a empty folder and name it something to tag it as save on trigger files. You want to do this to prompt you that these are SOT files so you don't open one later and run with it making a mess on your hard drive somewhere because the file has SOT enabled.

Then go to your Settings/Trigger and select 'Save on trigger'. The default is 100 screens then it stops saving until you stop and start the scope again, then it does another 100.

PicoScope 6.xx is much more powerful and easier to record. While is does not write screens to your hard drive, it does save them in the buffer. These never stop because the buffer scrolls. You can set this for up to 1000 screens and the oldest fall off when the new screens are captured. Then you can save one screen or all screens in the buffer to your hard drive in a single file.

Using PicoScope 6, with long time bases, you can sample faster than any other automotive scope available. So, don't be afraid to turn up the power and capture long screen times.

Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
Autonerdz

Technoman64

Post by Technoman64 »

I started with Version 6 and then also loaded Version 5. I have found that Version 6 does indeed work much better and was able to save data to review after turning vehicle off.

Are there any Sample Driver code for Visual C++ and/or Visual Basic for the 4-Channel Automotive Scope?

Or does Version 6 allow me to connect Channel A to the Crank Trigger, Channel B to the Cam Sensor,and Channel C to the Ignition Coil Primary. Then have the ability for software to calculate actual Ignition Timing based on these readings. This data can then be compared to commanded ignition timing from PCM to verify.

I would like to be able to write my own code to perform this fucntion and others if posible.

Thanks!

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Timing

Post by Autonerdz »

Can't help you with your programming code or write your own applications. I'm sure the Pico team can answer some of those questions.

PicoScope does not provide a timing measurement. Not sure that would be possible considering the different crank sensor patterns and configurations on different applications. If you know the crank sensor strategy for your application, however, it's not difficult to compare the firing time with the CKP and count the degrees based on the CKP teeth and see what timing is.

Here is a post on our forums studying when sequential injection occurs:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB ... 817999/0#0

You'll need to be registered and logged in to view this one.

Here is another example of CKP/CMP relationships (no log in required)

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB ... 1077376754

Keep in mind that when using miltiple channels make sure all are referenced to vehicle ground.

Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
Autonerdz