How user friendly do you want it?

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

How user friendly do you want it?

Post by Dave Hill »

After several months of playing around with R6 I have to say, I find it a great step forward. The feature I like most is the freehand zoom that allows you to select the area of interest in exactly the way you want it. It takes a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it, you can manipulate the capture so that it works for you.

Here is an animation of a Cam vs Crank (Vauxhall/GM AC exited type). This was taken, using all four channels. A & B were used for the dual AC cam sensor signals. Channel C was used for the crank sensor & channel D was used as the trigger point on cylinder 2 secondary ignition.

I think that the detail is incredible & very easy to manipulate to you own liking. (Its a large file, so give it time to load! :? )

I am looking forward to the final release of this software so that I can really get stuck in!

Cheers now

Dave (Hill)

davidj
OneWave
OneWave

Post by davidj »

Hi Dave
Wow, what an entrance to the forum! I'm glad you are getting to grips with R6. The animated waveform is really effective in detailing the zoom feature... 8)
Please check out the new release of R6.
Regards,
David

Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dave Hill »

Hi Dave & thanks. :D

Can you post the link to the latest Beta version. I always struggle to find it.

Maybe I have had too many beers :shock:

Cheers now

Dave (Hill)

davidj
OneWave
OneWave

Post by davidj »

Hi Dave

Reaised you likely have the latest R6.0.8 which is know to have a few bugs :roll: Sorry about that. If you wait until next week there will be the much improved 6.0.11 available from here -

http://www.picotech.com/software.html

Cheers for now.
Regards,
David

Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dave Hill »

Hi Dave

I finally got my hands on the latest version 6.0.12. Is this now the final release & not a BETA version? I like the new axis-scaling feature. Also the maximum frames that can be buffered is now increased to 1000.

Good work guys!

Dave (Hill)

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

New Version

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Dave,

You say 6.0.12? You had me going there, thought there was another release I had missed. I believe the latest is 6.0.11.2

I had not noticed the increase to 1000 frames, but then I never have the sample rate turned down that far to even get more than 65 frames anyway.

I really like this new version and the many new features it has. They squished a lot of bugs too. Some remain, but no real show stoppers.

What I don't like to see, in this release, is that the scope maximum performance has been reduced by 75%. I hope they restore the previous high speed streaming performance in the next build.
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
Autonerdz

Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dave Hill »

Hi Tom

Just looked at my previous post & yes you are right :oops:

I am now running......PicoScope® 6 - PC Oscilloscope software version: 6.0.11.2.

In the Pico help file it says the following......

““This is the maximum number of waveforms that PicoScope will store in the waveform buffer. The actual number of waveforms stored will depend on the available memory and the number of samples in each waveform.â€

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

samples

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Dave,

The number of possible frames will adjust itself to the sample rate you have selected. The more you dial it up the less frames you get. Even so, you will get at least 32. Since these are scrolling, you are not likely to need much more anyway.

I noticed that the sample rate had been reduced when I was doing a 200ms/div capture. It used to sample at 1MHz per channel on each of four channels. Now it's only 250KHz. Not something most techs would notice unless they knew it could do that. However, a capture like this one is no longer possible:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB ... 1180471365

(you'll need to be logged into our forums to view this link)

Also posted here:

http://www.picotech.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=3490

Superscope has encountered kryptonite :o I do think these superpowers will be restored in the next build coming shortly.

Yes, there is a gap between captured screens. The missing data as a percentage of your capture, depends on your settings. It varies from a low of 1% to a high of about 50%.

For example, a 20s/div capture will acquire 99% of all the data with only a 1% loss between screens. A 200ms/div capture will lose about 50%.

There are things the Pico team are working on that will make this a non-issue. They keep doing things with this that have never been done before. Just wait. It will get even better :)

Gotta keep us spoiled brats happy :lol:

Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
Autonerdz

matthew
OneWave
OneWave

Fast(er) streaming returns

Post by matthew »

Just posting to confirm that the maximum streaming sampling rate for the PS3x2x scopes has indeed been increased to 1MHz again (only available on the 200ms/div timebase). The problem was a small bug that crept-in due to other fixes.

This fix will be available in the next release (6.0.12).

PS: - nice demo of the zoom feature btw.
Last edited by matthew on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Everett

Pico Software Engineer

Matt Fanslow
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Matt Fanslow »

Some of the nicest "improvements" are those that simply add convenience. One of my favorites, with 6.0.11.2, is not having to re-select the normal selection tool (or hitting the ESC to automatically revert it) to "grab" the voltage scales so you can move the zero line or the trigger diamond to move it while using a Zoom tool. A seemingly small addition that means a lot.